Monday, March 30, 2009

I.D. #'s - check, apply for passports - check





Today was a productive day. We were able to recieve the children's I.D. #'s and apply for their passports all before lunchtime. Praise God! This whole adventure has been about my checklist. First, it was the paperwork - Homestudy, copies, notaries, and apostilles then the Dossier. All while fundraising and sharing our mission with others. I thought that was the hard part, making sure all out T's were crossed and I's dotted - WRONG. I am homesick! I have all my babies together and I want to come home. We are so close now. We expect to recive the kids passports either Thursday after 3pm or no later than Friday. We are praying they are available Thursday. I have learned that EVERY day counts here. IF, they are ready Thursday we would like to travel that evening to Kiev and take care of the kids medical exams and apply/receive their Visa's on Friday. That is our prayer - Nothing is impossible with God! We would be able to travel home with the first flight available. We can not change our travel plans until we have the kids passports. It is $50 a ticket to exchange them once, it's $200 a piece to change them a second time. We are scheduled to come home on the 10th. We will be home sooner than that, Lord willing! We had to "pick" an estimated date to come home. We chose the 10th by recommendation of our agency. I suppose things have moved along quicker than expected. It sure doesn't seem so from here.
By the way, the Ukraine time change happened yesterday. They sprung forward without anyone telling us. We were "late" for our ride yesterday because they showed up an hour early and they had to wait for us to rush around. Same thing happened today! Finally we asked Irina (our translator), why are we late? She falied to mention the time change to us. We got it now! Neadless to say, I had NO make-up on today. I know I can't belive it either.
Were able to pick up a couple of things while we were out today. It didn't go as well as we would have liked. We wanted to shop for souveniers. Not a good idea, during naptime. We have to do things while we are out, on one trip. It's too expensive to go out more than once or take the time to travel back to the center of town. Marcus was tired and was not feeling well. We want him to gain strength and get well before we travel home. It seems the days we stay in he gets better than we HAVE to go out again to take care of business. I plan to keep them both in the next couple of days. They are both not over their colds. Taylor and Tanner are doing great! They have stayed well and we pray health protection for them too.
Sorry there are no pictures from our adventure today. I know I can't belive it either. We are in survival mode here. It's not exactly a picture taking community. There are even stores that ban cameras from entering, like the grocery store. Yesterday, we were at a park and I saw a man "all decked out." We were in an open, public park so I wipped out the camera. He was carrying his umbrella to "hide/cover" himself from picture takers and held up his hand and rubbed his fingers together for us to pay him to take his picture - I don't think so! How was I suppose to know? Just like the time change, we are clueless!
But Praise God, we have our kiddos! I have to stay focused on the task ahead. This is not a vacation, it is a mission to rescue these babies. We'll take a FUN vacation some other time. :)
Thanks for listening.
We lOVE you and MISS you terribly.
I said this when we had to leave our home recently due to a kitchen fire and I'll say it again, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME. I should put that on a plaque or something.
Blessings,
Meghan

12 comments:

Tara and Family said...

Yeah, a new post! It's so good to see everyone "together" and smiling! I'm so glad that everything went well for you today. Don't worry about the souveniers, they don't seem so friendly to tourists/Americans. Praying that Marcus is feeling much better with some rest and meds, poor thing. Please give T & T big hugs and kisses from me, Marcus and Macey as well!! Be safe and well. Have a good evening together, the 6 of you. WE LOVE YOU ALL, Aunt Tara and Family
P.S. I was getting ready to send your blog to several friends and noticed the new heading for today, glad I waited.

Tara and Family said...

P.S. So very good to hear your voice, thanks for the call! Keep us posted with daily events (if you can) and the good news coming!! Sounds like your on the downhill slide now, Praise God!!!
XOXO to all, Tara

Alyson said...

Yea! It was so good to hear from you and I am praying that all goes faster than expected this week. We are ready for you to be home too!!!!!! I will also pray that those babies are well and ready to travel as soon as possible. Keep loving on them and know that we continue to "hold down the fort" until you get home - you are being held up in prayer daily!

Love you guys!
Alyson

Our mission said...

It sounds like things are coming along! We will pray for Marcus and Macey to get to feeling better before you have to travel--sounds like you all could use some rest! You are almost there--praying God will help you through and give you peace.
love, the Adamsons

Psalm 62:5-8
"Find rest. O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from HIm. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge."

Jennifer C. Roberts said...

Woo Hoo!!! You are now even one step closer to coming home! What wonderful news! So, I guess you guys just "hang out" for the next few days, right? Try to enjoy your downtime and get those "littles" feeling better! They have a big flight ahead of them and LOTS of friends and family waiting to welcome them home!!! We love you all and miss you much!!! I think I can see the light at the end of this tunnel!!! (((HUGS))) ~Jen

Unknown said...

We can't wait for you to get home!! I am so thankful that you finally have those babies after all this time. I was out shopping today and wanted to buy some clothes for Macey and Marcus. Can you post again what size you think they wear. I cannot remember what you said awhile back. Love you guys, Denise

Chris and Mary Malone said...

Survival mode. Hee hee. Isn't it incredible to think that you've been gone so long? It seems impossible. I know how you're feeling and that you're so ready to come home and you are so close you can taste it! It won't be long now. I hope things work out so you can get your visa on Friday. Oh...be sure you take the kids to the embassy with you! Ha ha!!

Enjoy these last days while it's just your family! When you get home, you'll hit the ground running you know. There'll never be another time like this one in your lives. So savor every moment.

Hope you guys stay well. We're praying so. Be glad you're not around here right now. So far, everyone who has entered our house since we've been home as come down with the flu. Ugh... It must be VERY CONTAGIOUS! I wonder who will be next. Blake and Seth are the only ones here who haven't been sick yet. :-(

Love you guys and we'll see you VERY SOON!!

sandra rund said...

I was glad to hear your voice on the phone today. I took a teaching job,short hours and its reallyall I can do. Tire easily. It will be four weeks and then I will do part time work as I was doing. Thats where I was when you called today. Thank you so very much. I am glad there has been some progress. I am curious who the statue was you are sitting with. What a nice picture. You are almost there. Its been a long ordeal,not easy but usually things that are worthwhile never are. I am anxious to see everyone and meet the new little ones. I hope that the children are feeling better. Sorry about Maceys' bath. Is she getting a little used to water yet? What an ordeal. I hope they get to see the Black Sea. What an experience. Just keep on going. Yoe are almost there and have struggled I know. There really is'nt anyplace like home. It will be there for you waiting.
This is a hard place to be in so many ways. I have never forgotten either. Take care. Love you all and am waiting to see you. Love,Nana

Lou said...

Hang in there, you are almost home! Following closely...

Kenneth said...

I am soooooo excited !!! almost done !!! please know I'll be hoisting the whole Dickinson clan up in prayer {Wayne all the way to "the Tater-mangler"} I've plugged y'all into the timeslots carved out for the Malones {6:30;9:30;12:30;3:30;6:30;9:30} c'mon home - vacation is over -

Alyson said...

Meghan,
As I was going back over my BSF lesson for this week, this jumped out at me and reminded me that you will receive God's blessings for doing his work. One of our priciples last week was - Obstacles provide us with opportunities to trust God. Going our own way will have us missing God's blessing.
You have faced many obstacles, but without them you would not come face to face with His blessings. Thank you for having the courage to do what God has called you to do and to persevere during those hard times.

Alyson

Unknown said...

I think you should count your precious babies as your souviners and forget about it. I'll get you some red ruby slippers someday to remember "no place like home." You're doing so great, Meghan! The Ukraine isn't exactly the place I'd recommend to someone going out of the country for the first time! It's almost harder the closer it gets to departure, isn't it? Hang in there. Use this time to rest and pray. God is giving you these days just for that. Your life will be crazy when you get home. Home will be forever different and that will take getting used to, as well, even though it's very very good. Everyone will be anxious to visit and help when what you may need at the moment is peace and quiet (I'm reliving the bringing home of the twins 8 yrs. ago!). Pour yourself into God's Word these next couple of days and allow Him to restore your Spirit. Let Him be the travel agent and time keeper. You just rest now. I'll keep praying for your patience and ability to rest. We love you all!