Monday, March 2, 2009

A day in Kiev

Hello and good evening. It's 9pm here right now. This will tell you the time difference we have. We are 8 hours ahead of you all in the states. We all slept really well last night. I slept 12 hours straight. I could have slept longer but we had places to go. The hospitality is amazing. Jamie (American missionary) has been so patient and helpful to each of us. Yuri and his wife were so kind to allow us to stay here. Yuri has been our driver and so accommodating. We feel at home here. It's nice to know there are other believers to be with and help us along. After breakfast we headed to Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. We met our facilitator (Anatoly) and our translator (Irina) for a day of sightseeing and dinner. Two other RR family joined us. The Hollis's and the Powell's. It was a real treat to be in good company. Everyone has been so kind to our children. We couldn't be happier that they were able to come with us. They are soaking in the sights and people too. Taylor fits right in with her tall, black, high-healed leather boots. We saw many churches, a museum and lots of old buildings. It's a very historic city. We walked by the KJB offices and Parliament, were the Prime minister works. It would be like our state capital. The streets are paved with brick. The cars drive by quickly with no directional lines and the people on the streets walk as though they are in a hurry. Irina took us ALL over the city. Look at this and look at that. She was great! Wayne had a hard time keeping up with his recent knee surgery bothering him. Because Irina is Ukrainian we walked everywhere and walked there quickly. Not a complaint just a comparison. Wayne said I should have titled this blog: Hot Soda and Cold Food. The Light Coca Cola that I drank came from a cooler but it was far from cool. We ate at the Ukrainian Kitchen for our evening meal. The people were dressed beautifully, the ladies in their dresses and aprons with bonnets. The food was good. It would have been better if it had been warm. I did;t feel like it would be appropriate to ask for the microwave. :) They did not allow pictures during the dinner line. I will try again another time. When we went to the grocery store yesterday I took a picture and out came the security officer asking me to stop. There is security everywhere we go.
We were able to find the SDA office that we will be attending tomorrow for our appointment. Our appointment is at 2pm. Please pray for this time. It is a very important meeting where they will give us the referral for Timur. We have been approved to adopt 2 children. We would like to accept the referral for a little 4 year old girl who is in the same orphanage as Timur. They will ask us questions about why we want to adopt children with special needs. Pray we will speak with confidence and clearly. It's hard not to be nervous. God has already gone before us and that's what we are holding on to. We are asking for the referrals the same day. If all goes well we will leave Kiev at 5am Wednesday morning and meet Timur by Noon. I can hardly wait. That's why we are here! We took the Metro (subway) out of the city all by ourselves. It was different to say the least. No one smiles. We left the city at the work days end so there were many business people on the metro with us. We only knew to get off at the last stop and go up to the street where Jamie would meet us and take us to Yiur's car. We did it! We are definatley on an adventure and way out of my comfort zone. This is good for me. It's good for the kids becasue they have experienced so much in just a short amount of time. I'm sure there is more to come. I'l keep you posted! Thak You for the sweet comments. They are our lifeline to each of you. Keep 'em coming! Wayne is working on a video of our time so far. Keep watching, it should be loaded soon.
Blessings,
Meghan

15 comments:

Tara and Family said...

Hey, great to hear from you guys! Sounds like your getting around fine, best wishes to Wayne as he hobbles along. Best wishes for the next few days to come. Have a good night, we love each of you! XOXO, Tara and family

Lou said...

You are bringing back sweet memories of Kiev! I love the Ukrainian Kitchen! Can't wait to hear all about your meeting with Timur and hopefully the other little girl. Please tell Irina hello from Lou and Stew!

Tara and Family said...

Hi again, Nana is here at my office with me and wanted to add a comment. I'm glad your getting around okay and I identify with your ride on the subway. This is a fabulous experience for your family. Wayne, the guitar I'm thinking of in Russia is triangular
in shape, begins with "a" and ends with "b". God Bless each of you, continue your journey. I pray for you all the time. Love, Nana

Alyson said...

So excited to hear from you! Sounds like you are doing well. We will pray for Wayne to get along well and with minimal pain. There probably won't be as much walking. We will be praying for you as you go to the SDA. Keep us posted. We miss you.
Alyson

Carol said...

Dickinson Family,
It was so great reading your post today. Will be praying tomorrow for you as you have your important meeting witht he SDA. It won't be long now and you will be meeting your new son, little Timur. I am so excited for ya'll. Wayne, praying that your knee will hold up with all that fast walking. Love you all! Jim and Carol

Bethany said...

LOL That had to be my least favorite thing about Russia was the warm soda! Ugh! Glad you guys had a good day out and about! What is this about the 4 year old girl? Are you bringing home TWO?!

Our mission said...

We will be praying for your appointment tomorrow and that God will give you help to get TImur's and the little girl's referral. Sounds like quite an adventure, and the best is coming!

Love, the Adamsons

Littlejohn said...

I'm so happy for you all! I hope you guys get to adopt the little girl. I know you will love on them so much!

RDrisk5150 said...

Greetings World Travelers,
It sounds like you all are adapting just fine over there...knowing God is with you is a great comfort, I'm sure. Does Wayne have his walking stick? I'm sure he's getting plenty of song ideas from this experience. (Just make sure what key they're in...ha...ha). Know that we are praying for you all the time. Say "Hi" to Taylor and Tanner for us. Let us know if there's anything we need to take care of for you back here.
Robert, Patti, Bryce, and Justin
The Driskells
(Do they have Pop-Tarts over there?)

Unknown said...

Meghan - So glad to hear you arrived safely and are getting to see some sights. I will pray for your meeting tomorrow at the SDA! Terri

Jennifer C. Roberts said...

Hello! So gald to hear from you again! It sounds like you are havng a wonderful time! I am praying and hopeful that all goes well at your SDA appointment. I am printing your blog updates and giving them to Dad, at his request. I will be printing a copy of today's post, unless I hear otherwise. Are you unable to check your e-mail? E-mail me if you can! Tell the kids, and Wayne, that we all said "Hello". Be safe and have a little fun while you are there! Keep us updated!!! Love, Jen

Jenn Ferguson said...

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and will be praying for you guys. Love you all!
Jenn F.

liesel said...

I miss it!

Unknown said...

I cannot even imagine how wide all of your eyes are! Next trip we take, you'll be leading me around! Way to go!

I left a weird message on your phone at about 12:15 on Sat. I was hoping you'd get it at plane change. While at the Scrappin' Pad, I was telling the ladies that you were boarding the plane right then (we did stop and pray). I think it was Diane who asked about Wayne and his surgery recovery and then they wanted to be sure you all knew to walk around frequently on the plan so as to avoid blood clots. It can happen to anyone, surgery or not, when you're seated for extended periods of time. Sorry if it was weird.

We love you all so much! I'm so excited for you!! I can't wait until you see Timur. When you said you'd like a referral for the 4 year old girl...are you thinking of bringing back 2 children? Sorry I'm such a dope about all this. This is a new adventure for me, too, watching you. Give Taylor and Tanner big hugs from the Steedmans! Love you!

Kenneth said...

I am ECSTATIC to hear of your safe arival ... surely Wayne has a song beginning to take shape from this experience - shoot - I'm writin' a song about him writin' a song !!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let the difficult times dampen your beautiful spirit - the whole "essence" of this fantastic voyage has our LORD'S aura all over it & the devil would like nothing more than to cause y'all to take your eyes offa the prize - YOU'RE ALMOST HOME !!!
Ken & Beth LaFever