Saturday, September 19, 2009

M & M's very 1st Buddy Walk

















Today was the day we have been looking forward to. Marcus and Macey participated in their very 1st Buddy Walk. We were ready to go! The t-shirts that Wayne made for our family and the Malone's turned out great. Taylor packed our lunches while I packed the van. As Mary pulled up with our dear friend Wartha to follow us we opened our front door to pouring down rain. No, not today. We had a Buddy Walk to walk, outside. We drove North to downtown OKC in the pouring rain and prayed that the rain would stop long enough for us to enjoy our time together. I decided to pull right up to the gate and drop off the kids, the wagon and ALL of our belongings. It seems like we packed a lot of stuff for 4 kids and 4 hours of fun. I parked my car several blocks away with my umbrella in hand. Only I didn't need my umbrella, the rain had stopped. Just like that it was over, Praise God! We were excited for the fun to begin. Today was filled with games, moon bounces, prizes, a sack lunch and of course pictures. We enjoyed watching our dear friend Brianna and her cheer leading squad perform at the beginning of the day. They looked like they were having so much fun. When we arrived at the moon bounce there was our friend Leah. She works with our physical therapist and chose to spend her time as a volunteer today. She enjoyed playing with Marcus and Macey in the moon bounce. Both kids loved it. Neither one of them wanted to get out. I'll have to remember that. By then my sister Jennifer and her kids came to join in on the fun. It was great to have them there. Rylee, my niece even gave up a soccer game to be a part of Marcus and Macey's big day. All of our kids had fun together. This was a day geared just for them. There were training dogs and the Redhawks mascot, Rowdy milling around too. Wayne arrived from work just in time to eat a ham and cheese sandwich with me and the kiddos before the walk. We then ventured around towards the front of the park with the Malone's and my sister for the big walk. Our friends from church, the Littlejohns also joined us in time for the walk. It was great to have them there. They are a precious family who are very supportive. When the balloons let go into the air the walk had begun right at 1:30pm. We walked around the outside of the ballpark. It was quite a sight. One I will not soon forget. ALL those with Down Syndrome and the ones who love them. It was a privilege to be a part of something so special. The day was a good one. My kids were both exhausted and ready for a nap when we got home. What am I saying, we all were. I am already looking forward to the next time we're able to walk proudly in support of our kids and the many others who have a little something "extra" special.

Bumper sticker: "My kid has more chromosomes than your honor student." Too cute!

4 comments:

Jennifer C. Roberts said...

Can I just say what a FANTASTIC time the kids and I had today at the 2009 Buddy Walk!!!! Thank YOU so much for allowing us the privelage of sharing in this day with you all! The t-shirts were adorable (way to go Wayne!) and I must say how cute we all looked! Although we had a rainy start, the sun started to shine just in time! M & M looked so cute and it was so much fun to spend the day with them...with all of you! We love you all so much and couldn't imagine being anywhere else on such a special day! I will quote Tanner, "Only 365 days until our next Buddy Walk!" We love you all!!! (((HUGS))) ~Aunt Jennifer and kids!!!

Missy said...

What fun pictures!! It's so neat that you have the Malones there!! Marcus and Macey are growing up and they both look GREAT! :o)

Tara and Family said...

I'm so very happy that the SUN was bright for M & M's special day - God is SO Good! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time together, YEAH!! The t-shirts are so adorable, way to go Wayne. And the $600 in donations, that is great!!! Love to see those beautiful smiles, XOXO to each of you - Aunt Tara and Family

Tiffany said...

What fun you all had! Looks like it was just a great day. Your kiddos look great and its great to read your updates. Take care you guys and we'll see you at Christmas!