Friday, May 8, 2009

Speech and Physical Therapy






Today was our first day of therapies for both Marcus and Macey. Marcus will do both physical and speech therapy while Macey only does speech. This is ALL new to me. I didn't know what to think or even know what to expect. How are they going to get Marcus to walk and Macey to talk? Sounds like a big job to me. A job I am ready for. I am all about learning what we can and doing the work at home, in between visits. Let me tell you we have the BEST therapists. Bob is the physical therapist and Michelle is the speech therapist. It just so happens that they are married and work out of the same facility. How awesome is that. The Lord knew I only have so many hours in a day and week for that matter. One stop "shopping" is good for me. Anyway, they were great to evaluate both of them, work with them and give me homework to do with both of them. Bob says Marcus' abs are like tapioca pudding. We have a wedge we will be using to help strengthen his core. He also sat in a high-tech walker to help him sit upright and know how it feels to walk. Macey needs to work on keeping her saliva in her mouth by learning when to swallow. She is working on blowing bubbles and drinking from a straw. It's the Little things that are truly the Big things for both of them. I have never had to teach Taylor and Tanner these things it just came naturally or even easily if shown. Today was a day of firsts. I am excited to see how well they do and were they will be by the end of summer when they begin school. We will attend these therapy sessions every Friday for 2 hours (back to back appointments) throughout the summer. I am so excited for both of them.
Skies the limit!
Blessings,
Meghan

2 comments:

Molly said...

welcome to the club of celebrating the "little" things. If you asked me a few years ago if at 20 I'd be working in special education I'd say no way. And yet here I am, shouting it from the roof tops that one of my campers said hi! or peed in the potty. or ate an entire hot dog (that was a cause for huge celebration)

It's amazing! and we'll celebrate the "litle" big things with you! I loved learning to celebrate the "little" things. One of the best lessons my campers have taught me!

Tiffany said...

just seeing what these little guys are getting because you cared enough to rescue them from the orphanage brings tears to my eyes! They are so cute and I know you love them as though you've always had them.
Seeing them grow up will be so great!