Thursday, August 20, 2009

Riding the bus to school for the first time








Marcus and Macey road the mini bus to school for the very first time today. School has been in session for a week now. I was driving them to and from school each day. Marcus goes in the morning and Macey in the afternoon. The school they are attending is not our home school , in our neighborhood. They do not provide the Developmental Delay program that the kids both need. So, they attend their DD school about 3.5 miles away. It's not far, just not convenient for me to drive back and forth 8 times a day through 2 school zones. So, they are now bus riders or bus kids as we like to call them at church. Taylor and Tanner both start school next week. I didn't see how we would get any home schooling done if we were never home.
Marcus got on the bus first. He did great! I carried him on the bus while the ladies introduced themselves and buckled him in. Come to find out one of the ladies, the aide on his bus knows about our family and the adoption of M & M, she attends our church. God was so good to put someone in my path today that I needed at that moment. It's hard to put 2 non-verbal kids on a bus with people you don't know. God let me know I was not alone. He is their protector. Marcus' teacher e-mailed me right away to let me know he was just as happy as he could be when he arrived at school. By the way, there are 5 kids on ea. of their buses with a driver and an aide.
Macey was next, she would be riding the same bus that dropped Marucs off just a short while ago. We watched for the bus to turn the corner and stop in front of OUR house. She was excited to be riding the bus for herself. She climbed right up the steps and sat in the seat right behind the driver. She was buckled in and began blowing kisses and waving to us. She was giddy and happy to be going to school. She was thrilled when she got home. I met her at the curb. Before the door could open they had her unbuckled and she lept into my arms. She was glad to see me. When I'm with my children day in and day out I am hardly ever missed. I felt like at this moment I was missed, she had a great day at school, and a great bus ride too. I can't ask for more than that. I'd say this was a good decision for all and a great 1st bus ride. Continue to pray all goes well. Riding the bus for both of them is a great help to the rest of the family and our schedules. I am so grateful they offer curb side service and with a smile too. :)

6 comments:

Tara and Family said...

Ahhh, they get to ride the bus, how fun for them! They seem to be well taken care of and in good hands, Praise God!! Looks like all is going well for the both of them, that's wonderful news. Love to see their beautiful happy faces. See you tomorrow. Love to each of you, Aunt Tara and Family

Alyson said...

How fun for them!!! I know it lessens your burden as well. It probably would not be possible with Taylor's new schedule either. Can't wait to hear about her first day at school!!!
Talk to you soon.
Alyson

Jennifer C. Roberts said...

Awww...see, I knew you could do it!!! LOL :) Those big kids love to ride their school bus!!! Woo Hoo!!! It's a new and exciting adventure!!! I am so happy for them!!! Love to all!!! (((HUGS))) ~ Aunt Jennifer

Tiffany said...

love the pics. I think the bus ride sounds like fun! I bet they loved it. Good choice, Mom!
Tiffany

Charissa said...

How fun! Ava still looks longingly at the school bus. Unfortunately she won't be able to ride the bus this year. :(

Carol said...

That is so neat that they get to ride the bus from right in front of your house. I have been trying to send messages and it wouldn't let me so I resigned up:) Guess now they will let me comment to you. Hugs to everyone!