Monday, March 1, 2010

Celebrated Marcus' 3rd b-day in Ukraine






We arrived in Ukraine in time to celebrate Marcus' 3rd birthday on March 1st. Our goal was to meet him by his birthday. I had to keep some kind of goal while getting through the adoption process. We may not have met him quite yet but we did celebrate him with our new friends. After landing in Kiev our first stop was the market so we could buy our meals for a few days. Jamie, Yuri & Sveta picked us up and drove us to get groceries. We picked a cake while we were there. We knew we wanted to celebrate Marcus' birthday. We depended on Jamie to read the labels and communicate for us. She is a missionary from the US who is ministering in Ukraine. We arrived at the guest house and began to prepare dinner. We chose a chocolate cake for dessert. We invited Yuri and his wife Sveta to join us. We sang Happy Birthday to Marcus as though he was there with us. It was a bitter/sweet moment, one I won't forget. As we sang, laughed and celebrated why were were there we enjoyed a piece of cake and some hot tea. It wasn't long before Yuri announced that the cake had liquor in it. I wondered why the cake was so wet and soggy. I just thought it was a Ukraine thing. Anyway, I politely swallowed the piece I already had in my mouth then refrained from eating any more. Taylor and Tanner thought this was the funniest thing. They still bring it up today if we order a cake. They make sure it has no liquor in it. Too funny! I knew his next birthday we would be celebrating it together. Praise God!

No comments: